Long time no post…
Here’s what I’ve been up to:
- Ran the NYC half marathon in 2:56:44 on March 17th. Rockstar.
- Didn’t get into the NYU nursing program – so instead taking an online class. 3 chapters to go and I’ll be done. Taking another one this summer, and then diving into science classes at BMCC in the fall.
- Shoulder – no more PT, but kinda stopped doing the exercise while focusing on running and more running. Slacker.
- Started working out at The Fhitting Room which is amazing. The first class was the most difficult class I’ve ever taken and I was sore for 4 days afterwards. Froze my NYSC membership for a few months.
- Started the Whole30 challenge on Monday. My eating habits have been subpar lately and my BFF Samantha told me about it and started it last week and I was very intrigued…
- Old roommate left – found new roommate and she fits in well with the 3 of us
- Work – many changes, many friends leaving, but change is good, and I know my time there is limited since I will be going to nursing school in about 2 years (yay pre-reqs)
- Family – all is well, my sister and brother-in-law are looking to buy a condo and my parents are settling in after being in Florida for a month. Next visit to MA is for Mother’s Day weekend and I can’t wait.
- Boston. I’m still in a bit of shock and can’t stop reading and watching and learning about what went down. I hope they get the bastard(s) who did this. I’ll always be a Masshole no matter where I live.
- Joined a CSA which starts June 4th. Can’t wait for my weekly pick up of local fresh farm veggies.
- Still pantrying through NYCARES – but my pantry changed it’s name which still throws us off a bit. Yorkville Common Pantry – now New York Common Pantry. Still my favorite volunteer place though.
I got home from San Francisco on Sunday night and didn’t bother to completely unpack. I’m off tomorrow and in about 15 minutes will be headed to Penn Station to take the train to MA for the weekend.
San Francisco was beautiful. My cousin’s wedding was at a winery and everything was spectacular… view, food, guests, ceremony, reception, dancing, really everything was just wonderful. My cousin and his new bride were both beaming – so happy for both of them! It was also great to see my family. We are spread out across the country, so we don’t see each other very often. Last time I saw almost everyone there was last summer at my other cousin’s wedding.
On the way home, my sister and her fiance and I were supposed to be on the same flight, but they got bumped. It ended up working out for the best since they wouldn’t have been able to sit together and we all had a layover in Cleveland before heading our respective ways. Plus I had was flying first class (and that was a free ticket) so I certainly wasn’t going to let myself get bumped 😉 More on free tickets and the like in a later post.
Work has been ridiculous this week; I’ve been working late and just crashing when I get home. I think I’m also a little jet lagged too so that’s not helping. PT is going well – two sessions this week and I’m slowly seeing progress. My gym membership was unfrozen (unfrozen?) as of Tuesday, so of course I also made myself go to a spin class that day before work. It was a tough class but I haven’t worked out like that in a really long time.
Ok, time to wrap things up at work and get to the train. Bridal shower this weekend, so let the celebrating continue!
A short post because I have to leave in like 6 hours and get on a plane to San Francisco and at this rate I’m never going to get any sleep….
But it’s been almost a week since I said goodbye to my sling and it feels good. Work has been busy, but I’ve been able to do pretty much everything with a few work arounds. I’m doing my PT exercises at least twice a day and have actually seen a little bit of progress in this short time.
Today I had my second session and it was a killer. She worked on my upper arm a lot and it was pretty painful. Hopefully there won’t be any bruising, just red spots like last time. Then she worked on my scars to break up the tissue and help with healing. That hurt more than anything – like a stabbing pain. I got a few new exercises so I’ll be adding those to my repertoire.
Next week the freeze on my gym membership is up – I need to find out what I can and can’t do (aside from put my arm over my head). I’m definitely looking forward to getting a plan and really working out again. Couch to 5K perhaps?
This weekend I saw Magic Mike – have you seen it yet? The plot has lots of holes but I enjoyed the dancing and the men. Everything I expected 🙂
Enjoy the rest of your week!
When was the last time you were fitted or measured for a bra?
Odd question? Maybe. But according to Intimacy 85% of women are wearing the wrong size. I was one of them.
Today I went to my local Intimacy store and was fitted for new bras. After the Africa diet I desperately needed new bras, but it took me 2 months to actually make it happen. I’m so glad I did. I tried on the first bra the saleswoman brought me and I was amazed at how well it fit me. Then she told me to put my shirt back on…and the amazement continued! I looked good! The bras there are definitely pricey, but I decided I was worth it. And now I can find those brands online hopefully cheaper.
So if it’s been awhile, find a store, get measured/fitted. You may be surprised!
Next on the agenda – a new sports bra….
Tomorrow is the big day!
I’m pretty excited to be done with this sling but I’m starting to get worried about going back to work. I originally thought that I’d be free of the sling forever and be able to move my arm around a bit, but I know what my range of motion is right now. Should be very interesting to go back to work on Thursday.
Physical therapy starts on Thursday too. I’ll have to leave work early and then probably go back to finish up. Hopefully I’ll be able to schedule better in the future and work will be ok with Thursday’s plan.
Saturday is was back to the pantry and I brought my backpack with me because I was taking the train to meet my family at my aunt and uncle’s house upstate. The backpack was a little tricky, but then I realized that I could loop one of the straps over my shoulder instead of around and it seemed to work quite well. We had a nice time and it was good to get out of the city. Well, until I got home and emptied out my backpack and realized that everything in it STUNK like cigarette smoke. UGH.
That meant that it was finally time to laundry. I always do my own laundry instead of dropping it off because I’m way too OCD and hang dry most of my laundry. I sorted through what I figured would be ok to put in the dryer and dropped it off this morning at the cleaners next door. We’ll see how it goes.
Only a week and a half until I’m out of my sling!
The end of my week was pretty busy. I brought my laptop to the Apple store (the rubber bottom has been slowly peeling away and was only attached in the center) and visited work. Everyone at work was happy to see me and it was really good to see everyone who I haven’t seen since before surgery.
Yesterday I volunteered at YCP which has been my regular gig for the last 2 years. It’s a great pantry and they have so many programs to help out people in the neighborhood. I found out about them through New York Cares which is a huge volunteer organization for all 5 boroughs of NYC. I knew I wasn’t going to be at my best there but also knew that I could still help out a lot. Plus it was nice to see my pantry friends and catch up with them.
That night my roommate Sean and I headed to Jill’s apartment for drinks and socializing. She’s my favorite former roommate and she and her boyfriend live 2 blocks away which is great. They had lots of people over and we had a lot of fun. Sean’s boyfriend David (who is also one of our roommates) stopped by later as well. The party was a blast and eventually we ended up at a nearby gay bar. Highly entertaining!
And today has just been a lazy Sunday… Hope you had a great weekend too!