Long time no post…
Here’s what I’ve been up to:
- Ran the NYC half marathon in 2:56:44 on March 17th. Rockstar.
- Didn’t get into the NYU nursing program – so instead taking an online class. 3 chapters to go and I’ll be done. Taking another one this summer, and then diving into science classes at BMCC in the fall.
- Shoulder – no more PT, but kinda stopped doing the exercise while focusing on running and more running. Slacker.
- Started working out at The Fhitting Room which is amazing. The first class was the most difficult class I’ve ever taken and I was sore for 4 days afterwards. Froze my NYSC membership for a few months.
- Started the Whole30 challenge on Monday. My eating habits have been subpar lately and my BFF Samantha told me about it and started it last week and I was very intrigued…
- Old roommate left – found new roommate and she fits in well with the 3 of us
- Work – many changes, many friends leaving, but change is good, and I know my time there is limited since I will be going to nursing school in about 2 years (yay pre-reqs)
- Family – all is well, my sister and brother-in-law are looking to buy a condo and my parents are settling in after being in Florida for a month. Next visit to MA is for Mother’s Day weekend and I can’t wait.
- Boston. I’m still in a bit of shock and can’t stop reading and watching and learning about what went down. I hope they get the bastard(s) who did this. I’ll always be a Masshole no matter where I live.
- Joined a CSA which starts June 4th. Can’t wait for my weekly pick up of local fresh farm veggies.
- Still pantrying through NYCARES – but my pantry changed it’s name which still throws us off a bit. Yorkville Common Pantry – now New York Common Pantry. Still my favorite volunteer place though.
PT is going really well. The very first exercise I learned seems to be where I judge my progress the most.
This is the one where I lay on my back and hold a cane/broomstick with both hands in front of me and raise them overhead as far as possible. I was slowly reaching the point where it was so far over my head that I could barely see it in my peripheral vision. This week I made it to the point where it is completely out of my line of sight!
My therapist has been really pushing me and working on me a lot with my range of motion and with the massage-like techniques to break up the scar tissue. They tend to be extremely painful and I sometimes dread this part of PT. I know it’s good pain – but that doesn’t always help in the moment.
And I got a massive bruise on Monday from all the work she did…
After PT today I hit up the gym – same as last week. Slowly but surely I’m getting back in the swing of things. 3 days of running/walking in a little over a week. Now I just have to figure out when my next gym day is…
Time for PT exercises!
I want to start running. I’d like to be a runner. The most I ever was able to run (and I do feel like I was pushing myself) was 3 minutes.
While I think about whether to do this half marathon with my friend (and favorite ex roommate), I’m doing a modified version of couch to 5K. Either way, it gets me where I want to be.
This week I’ve only been to the gym once (slow and steady right?) but I did a 5 minute warm up then 30 seconds of running/60 seconds of walking until I hit 2 miles. It took me 34:12 which doesn’t seem too bad since it’s including the warm up.
Usually I consider my walk to the gym (3 blocks) and then up the stairs (3 flights to cardio, 5 flights to weights/spin/group exercises) my warm up but since I was coming from PT and had to stop to change my clothes, I needed a real warm up.
Next week my goal is to get to the gym twice. My work schedule is busier next week than it was this week, so I think that’ll be a real accomplishment. Plus I’ll be in Long Island this weekend, so no gym on Sunday and then my sister arrives for her bachelorette party on Friday. Two gym days definitely will be pushing it…and one would not be a total fail.
In addition to wanting to run, I’m also enjoying a spin class here and there. It’s a really good sweat and doesn’t bother my shoulder at all. Plus I don’t need a plan – just show up and let the teacher push you harder and harder for 45 minutes.