Long time no post…
Here’s what I’ve been up to:
- Ran the NYC half marathon in 2:56:44 on March 17th. Rockstar.
- Didn’t get into the NYU nursing program – so instead taking an online class. 3 chapters to go and I’ll be done. Taking another one this summer, and then diving into science classes at BMCC in the fall.
- Shoulder – no more PT, but kinda stopped doing the exercise while focusing on running and more running. Slacker.
- Started working out at The Fhitting Room which is amazing. The first class was the most difficult class I’ve ever taken and I was sore for 4 days afterwards. Froze my NYSC membership for a few months.
- Started the Whole30 challenge on Monday. My eating habits have been subpar lately and my BFF Samantha told me about it and started it last week and I was very intrigued…
- Old roommate left – found new roommate and she fits in well with the 3 of us
- Work – many changes, many friends leaving, but change is good, and I know my time there is limited since I will be going to nursing school in about 2 years (yay pre-reqs)
- Family – all is well, my sister and brother-in-law are looking to buy a condo and my parents are settling in after being in Florida for a month. Next visit to MA is for Mother’s Day weekend and I can’t wait.
- Boston. I’m still in a bit of shock and can’t stop reading and watching and learning about what went down. I hope they get the bastard(s) who did this. I’ll always be a Masshole no matter where I live.
- Joined a CSA which starts June 4th. Can’t wait for my weekly pick up of local fresh farm veggies.
- Still pantrying through NYCARES – but my pantry changed it’s name which still throws us off a bit. Yorkville Common Pantry – now New York Common Pantry. Still my favorite volunteer place though.
I’m still around…
Here’s what I’ve been up to:
Nursing school – Application submitted, waiting to hear probably around the end of November.
Physical Therapy – The torture continues. I hit my 25 session mark 2 weeks ago and now we are waiting for my insurance to request a medical review and then approve more sessions. I’m paying out of pocket now… I’m making good progress and I’m close to where I was before I went to South Africa in a lot of ways. The problem is that my shoulder hasn’t been 100% in at least 20 years. I have really really tight muscles surrounding my shoulder (under my arm, in my chest and back) that we are working on – which is wicked painful.
Sister’s wedding – absolutely perfect!
Running – I’ve decided to do a half marathon in March. I’ve been run/walking 2 – 3 times a week for the last month and have finally made it to the point where I can run 3 minutes at a time – but only twice per workout so far. Slow going here too – but progress is being made.
Plank Challenge – 45 seconds. Looking to double it. Minimum. Who’s with me??
I promise to post more regularly 🙂
I want to start running. I’d like to be a runner. The most I ever was able to run (and I do feel like I was pushing myself) was 3 minutes.
While I think about whether to do this half marathon with my friend (and favorite ex roommate), I’m doing a modified version of couch to 5K. Either way, it gets me where I want to be.
This week I’ve only been to the gym once (slow and steady right?) but I did a 5 minute warm up then 30 seconds of running/60 seconds of walking until I hit 2 miles. It took me 34:12 which doesn’t seem too bad since it’s including the warm up.
Usually I consider my walk to the gym (3 blocks) and then up the stairs (3 flights to cardio, 5 flights to weights/spin/group exercises) my warm up but since I was coming from PT and had to stop to change my clothes, I needed a real warm up.
Next week my goal is to get to the gym twice. My work schedule is busier next week than it was this week, so I think that’ll be a real accomplishment. Plus I’ll be in Long Island this weekend, so no gym on Sunday and then my sister arrives for her bachelorette party on Friday. Two gym days definitely will be pushing it…and one would not be a total fail.
In addition to wanting to run, I’m also enjoying a spin class here and there. It’s a really good sweat and doesn’t bother my shoulder at all. Plus I don’t need a plan – just show up and let the teacher push you harder and harder for 45 minutes.
It’s like every week is busier than the last… and next week isn’t looking much better.
PT is going well. I’m seeing progress most days I go there which is really reassuring since I’m not seeing improvement in my every life with my shoulder.
I did get my first bruise from PT yesterday though. It isn’t really big but it is ugly. Oh yes, and I cried at PT for the first time too. Not sobbing, but there were tears streaming down my face. It just hurt so much. Fortunately, my therapist was very understanding and even said that was why she had me facing away from the everyone else there…
I’m making progress – now using 1 lb weights or a cable instead of just pushing against the pole. Woohoo! One pound weights!
Yesterday, instead of just laying down with my ice, she had me sit in the chair with arm propped up on a bolster so it was perpendicular to my body. Then she put the ice on top of my arm and strapped it on with one of those weights that you can wrap around something (wrist, ankle, cane, etc). It was like traction – pushing down my shoulder which always hikes up when I raise my arm more than like 45*.
Then I went straight to the gym. I walk right by it on the way to and from PT so I figured this would be the best plan.
Speaking of plans – I’m in search of a gym plan. A friend has talked to me about doing a half marathon in March. I wanted to do couch to 5K, so maybe this will turn into couch to half marathon?